Summer Grilling: BBQ Grills for the Cash-Strapped Student
For most of the U.S., it’s nearly that time of the year again to slap a steak on the grill and fire up a few hot links for the friends and family. The propane tanks are soon to be locked and loaded, and the burners in full bore.
For college students, summertime is the time of year where the grill becomes the exterior microwave. Hot pockets are replaced with hot dogs, and cooking a small meal is an outdoor activity that operates perfectly in conjunction with beer games and bikinis. The only issue of course, is that the only thing most college students have in common—aside from unhealthy diets and limited sleep schedules—are slim budgets.
When trips to Costco are made not for purchasing items in bulk, but rather for taking advantage of the $1.50 hotdog and soda deal outside, it is difficult for cash strapped students to buck up for top of the line grilling machines. The only solution available is to peruse the lower end of the grill market for burger broilers that won’t break the bank.
Luckily for collegiate grilling enthusiasts, there are many inexpensive barbecue options perfectly designed to meet the needs of any summer grilling activities. Using data from FindTheBest’s Barbecue Grills Comparison, below are the top five Smart Rated barbecue grills priced under $300. Also included is a list of the top five portable grills under $300 for those looking to tailgate on a thrifty budget.
The Smart Rating assigns a quantitative weighted rating to each feature and detail of the grill and averages the scores.
5 Most Affordable (Standard) Grills:
5. Char-Broil Quickset Two-burner Grill with Covered Sideburner – $180
4. Brinkmann 4 Burner Gas Drop-In Grill with Rotisserie & Dual Fuel Valve – $155
3. Char-Broil Three-Burner with Sideburner and Hidden Basket - $180
2. Char-Broil 4-Burner Grill With Side Burner Gas Barbecue Grill - $230
1. Char-Broil Commercial Series Quantum 3 Urban Grill – $270
The Top 5 Affordable Portable Grills
5. Weber Weber Q 120 Grill – $160
4. Coleman Road Trip Grill LXE – $180
3. Char-Broil Grill2Go Express Table-Top Gas Grill – $125
2. Coleman Road Trip LE Grill – $160
1. Weber Gas Go-Anywhere Grill – $60
Thanks to Jonny Kintzele of FindTheBest.com for the list.