Easy Eats: How to Make Gummie Bears
Gummy bears are an entirely too addictive snack that my dentist would probably prefer I’d avoid entirely. So, of course, I’m always on the look out for more. Dentists are just buzz kills, anyways. So if you’re a helpless candy addict like myself, you should jump at the chance of how to quickly and easily make this delicious candy on your own for next to nothing. Here’s how:
- 3 packages gelatin
- 2 tbsp flavored, sugarless Jello mix
- 1 tbsp Kool-Aid mix (same flavor as Jello)
- 1/2 cup ice water
- Candy molds, any shape
- Eye dropper (optional)
- Non-stick cooking spray (optional)
1) Combine gelatin, Kool-Aid, and Jello together.
2) Slowly add the powder mixture of Kool-Aid, Jello and gelatin to the 1/2 cup of water. Incrementally spooning the mixture into the water is the best approach.
3) Mix the water and powder mixture together at a steady pace, ensuring to not stir too slowly or quickly to avoid it combining unevenly.
4) Once combined, let the mixture sit until it appears slightly watery.
5) Microwave on high for 1 minute to 1 minute 15 seconds, or until the mixture just begins to bubble or foam at the top.
6) Carefully pour the mixture into the molds you have chosen. An eye dropper is handy for this part, as you can control the amount you’re adding to the molds more easily. Additionally, the cooking spray may be applied to the molds to help remove the gummies after the mixture sets.
7) Place molds in freezer for 10-20 minutes.
8) Remove solid gummies from molds and store in air-tight container or bags.
That’s it! For sweeter gummies, try using evaporated cane sugar as well. The candy gummies can even be made vegan if you’re careful with your selection of gelatin, so anyone can enjoy them. Just make sure you make enough!