General Information About Southern Union State Community College
Southern Union State Community College, located in east central Alabama, is an open-door, public, two-year college operating as a part of The Alabama College System. The mission of the College is to provide quality academic, technical, and health science programs which are affordable, accessible, and responsive to the needs of the community, business, industry, and government. As an open-door institution, the College provides an educational program that complements the various ability levels of a diverse student population. In support of these efforts, the College employs a highly qualified staff which is active in the planning and evaluation of all programs. The education offered allows for successful transfer entry into upper-level study at a senior college or university, trains for immediate employment upon completion of a technically-oriented program, and provides educational opportunities for those students interested in careers in the health care field.
Institutional statistical data was gathered from the U.S. Department of Education - Institute of Education Sciences, National Center for Education Statistics, 2009-2010.
- 2-year, Public
Special Learning Opportunities
- ROTC (Air Force)
- Distance learning opportunities
- General Education Courses
- Career Services available upon completion
- Dual credit
- Credit for life experiences
- Advanced placement (AP) credits
- The acceptance of credits for work experience or military experience are subject to review by the school and cannot be guaranteed.
- Not applicable
- Eligible students may receive Pell Grants and other federal aid (e.g. Direct Loans).
- Less than 1 year certificate
- 1-2 years certificate
- Associate's degree
- Rural: Remote
Disability Services Student
- 3% or Less
Admission Total Applicants Full Time Retention Rate 58%
Student Demographics Total Enrolled 7,507 Native American 11 Asian 75 African American 1,811 Hispanic 58 Enrolled FullTime Undergraduates 3,062 Enrolled FullTime Graduates 0