General Information About Western Carolina University
Western Carolina University creates engaged learning opportunities that incorporate teaching, research and service through residential, distance education and international experiences. The university focuses its academic programs, educational outreach, research and creative activities, and cultural activities to improve individual lives and enhance economic and community development in the region, state and nation.
Institutional statistical data was gathered from the U.S. Department of Education - Institute of Education Sciences, National Center for Education Statistics, 2009-2010.
- 4-year, Public
Special Learning Opportunities
- Teacher certification
- Distance learning opportunities
- Study abroad
- Academic/career counseling service
- Employment services for students
- Placement services for completers
- On-campus day care for students' children
- Dual credit
- Credit for life experiences
- Advanced placement (AP) credits
- The acceptance of credits for work experience or military experience are subject to review by the school and cannot be guaranteed.
- Not applicable
- Eligible students may receive Pell Grants and other federal aid (e.g. Direct Loans).
- Bachelor's degree
- Postbaccalaureate certificate
- Master's degree
- Post-master's certificate
- Rural: Distant
Disability Services Student
- 3% or Less
Admission Total Applicants 7,331 Percent Admitted 51% Men Admitted 51% Women Admitted 51% Full Time Retention Rate 76%
Submitted ACT & SAT Scores
25th Percentile Score 75th Percentile Score Critical Reading 450 550 Math 470 560 Writing 430 530
25th Percentile Score 75th Percentile Score Composite 18 23 English 16 22 Math 18 23
Student Demographics Total Enrolled 10,827 Native American 144 Asian 92 African American 641 Hispanic 155 Enrolled FullTime Undergraduates 6,301 Enrolled FullTime Graduates 682