General Information About Texas Southern University
Texas Southern University is a comprehensive metropolitan university. Building on its legacy as a historically black institution, the university provides academic and research programs that address critical urban issues and prepare an ethnically diverse student population to become a force for positive change in a global society. In order to achieve this mission, Texas Southern University provides: quality instruction in a culture of innovative teaching and learning basic and applied research and scholarship that is responsive to community issues opportunities for public service that benefit the community and the world.
Institutional statistical data was gathered from the U.S. Department of Education - Institute of Education Sciences, National Center for Education Statistics, 2009-2010.
- 4-year, Public
Special Learning Opportunities
- ROTC (Army, Navy, Air Force)
- Teacher certification
- Distance learning opportunities
- Weekend/evening college
- Remedial services
- Academic/career counseling service
- Employment services for students
- Placement services for completers
- On-campus day care for students' children
- Dual credit
- Credit for life experiences
- Advanced placement (AP) credits
- The acceptance of credits for work experience or military experience are subject to review by the school and cannot be guaranteed.
- Not applicable
- Eligible students may receive Pell Grants and other federal aid (e.g. Direct Loans).
- Bachelor's degree
- Master's degree
- City: Large
Disability Services Student
- 3% or Less
Admission Total Applicants 6,110 Percent Admitted 99% Men Admitted 98% Women Admitted 99% Full Time Retention Rate 67%
Submitted ACT & SAT Scores
25th Percentile Score 75th Percentile Score Critical Reading 320 430 Math 330 430 Writing 340 430
25th Percentile Score 75th Percentile Score Composite 13 17 English 11 17 Math 14 17 Writing 10 16
Student Demographics Total Enrolled 10,402 Native American 12 Asian 457 African American 8,837 Hispanic 464 Enrolled FullTime Undergraduates 5,860 Enrolled FullTime Graduates 1,629